April 4, 2014

Food Product Cost & Pricing Spreadsheet ‘How To’ Video

food business pricing spreadsheetI’m the type of person who learns best visually so even though the Food Product Cost & Pricing Spreadsheet comes with instructions, I wanted to make a video that would show, step-by-step, how to input a recipe and packaging in order to determine product costs and pricing.  I’m excited to say that the video is now live on YouTube so if you’ve purchased the spreadsheet and want a little extra help or if you’re thinking of getting it but want to make sure it’ll be right for you, this video should be helpful.

14 comments on “Food Product Cost & Pricing Spreadsheet ‘How To’ Video

• Colleen @ Royal Icing Diaries on said:

Jennifer this is just excellent!! I too am a visual learner and just love this. Your explanation is perfect and I really appreciate you taking the time to put the video together. Thank you!

• Caramel Moose Cupcakes on said:

Hi Jennifer,

Here’s another visual learner. I’ve been searching the web for a tutorial on how to establish cost’s for my cupcakes and I’ve found it. Thanks a bunch. I’m ready to roll!

• Jennifer on said:

Tom, Yes – since you input the quantity you can use whichever measurements are best suited to how you cook in the kitchen. Hope that helps!

• Emmy Reimann on said:

Hi Jennifer,
    so glad to have found your website through Cookie Connection! You have done a great job, thank you!
    Can I use the spreadsheet also on my ipad or does it only work on a regular computer?
    You memtioned Mac’s but I’m not sure if the ipad falls under that category.

Thanks, Emmy

• Jennifer on said:

I haven’t tested the spreadsheet on an iPad but believe that as long as you have Mac Numbers or Excel that is accessible on your iPad then it should be ok. However, you wouldn’t really be able to save any of the information very well so a laptop or desktop might be a better option. Thanks!

• romanna clark on said:

Hi Jennifer

I love the Spreadsheet by far the best! I do have a few questions but not sure if I should set up a consultation. So please let me know

. I develop all of my formulas based on 100% and benchtop development is done on a gram scale. Also my formulas contain industrial functional ingredients like gums, starches that are in packed in a variety of pack sizes. With that said in the quantity column can I input the quantity of ingredients based on for examples of 1000 gram batch? Instead of converting 50 bag of gum into ounces?
    In addition many of my formulas have a few sub assembly steps including cooking of components that include yields that must be captured in the pricing for the finish build. Any suggestion as to how to input those figures? For example, I used cooked grains which are packed in either 50 or 25lb bag but may not used the complete bag in a production run.
    Pack Sizes
    Some of the my products will be packed in 2/5lb bags rather that pieces. How would I capture this in the packaging section?

• Jennifer on said:

Doing my best to answer your questions but let me know if I missed anything or if anything here isn’t clear.
      1. Gram v. ounces in the quantity – yes, you can use grams instead of ounces and don’t need to convert to ounces. I used ounces in my example since I’m in the US and that’s what is typically used here but you are not required to stick to ounces. The only thing you must do is make sure that you are consistent throughout your recipe. So, if in Recipe A you use 100g of Product X, you could put in that you buy Product X in 1000g packages for $ZZ price and then you need 100g in the recipe. Where you’ll run into problems is if you say that you buy in 1000g quantities and then use 45oz. You can’t switch back and forth between weight measurements for each ingredient. As long as you keep the weight measurement consistent then you shouldn’t have a problem.
      2. For sub recipes, my recommendation is to use those as their own ‘recipe’. Create a recipe spreadsheet for each of those recipes that will tell you how much it costs you to do the sub recipe and then incorporate that into the main recipe. For example, Recipe B has several sub steps that are components of it. In this case, I would create a Recipe B.2 that would layout the ingredients and time involved with the sub steps and, from that, determine my price point (in either grams or ounces). Then I would input that ‘cost’ as its own separate ingredient within Recipe B. So there would be a line item in Recipe B that might say ‘Sub Recipe B.2’ and would then say what quantity you make it in, how much that costs you, and how much quantity you need of this particular recipe. Proceed as normal throughout the rest of the spreadsheet and you should then have your total costs including the sub recipe component for this particular recipe.
      3. You can use any measurement for the packaging of your product. Again, in the example I used pieces but you could just as easily say that your recipe yields 20lbs of finished product and that you pack it in 5lb bags. The spreadsheet will then tell you how much each bag costs you. Just make sure in this case that the measurement you’re using in your ‘Yield’ at the top of the spreadsheet and the measurement you’re using in the packaging is similar (be it weight or pieces).

Hope that answered your questions but please let me know if it didn’t. Thanks, Jennifer