December 15, 2015
Break out the cake and the bubbly – today Small Food Business officially turns 5 years old. Given that this site started one insomnia-fueled night when the thoughts (and frustrations) that there were no resources for food entrepreneurs kept me up until dawn, the fact that it’s now grown into the most trafficked website for food artisans is astounding to me.
The truth is that this site couldn’t exist without you. It is you who inspire me on a daily basis and, by the same token, it is you who push me to make this site better and better. My goal has always been to create a community for food artisans to grow their businesses and it’s been your insight and input that has helped transform this site into that. So thank you, thank you, thank you.
In keeping with my promise to make this the best resource for food entrepreneurs, we’re not going to be resting on our laurels. Rather, we’ve been spending the past 6 months working on some new things that will debut in the new year for you. Here’s what you can look forward to:
- We’re keeping what you love – the free articles and free webinars are staying per your request.
- You mentioned that sometimes it’s hard to read all the articles given that you’re in the kitchen producing product, so starting in January we’re launching a free Small Food Biz podcast series. Every two weeks I’ll be talking to industry experts and entrepreneurs like you who are facing challenges. Be sure to tune in for that! (More information to follow)
- We’ve been redesigning the site a little bit to make it more streamlined and easier to find the information you need. The biggest thing is that the redesign will make the site load faster on ALL of your devices. So no matter whether you’re looking at smallfoodbiz.com from your phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop, it’s going to be quick and easy to navigate.
- We’ve also been updating the shopping cart and starting in January when you make a purchase you’ll be given a choice to log-in or not. The benefit of logging in is that you will then have access to all your purchases (from January on…not applicable to retroactive purchases) so you can go back anytime and re-download any of your e-purchases. Having recently had a computer crash, I know how important it is to get your business back on track quickly and this will help you do it!
- You said you wanted more information so we’ll be giving it to you. While all of the above will remain free, starting in the Spring we’ll begin offering Premium Content in addition to everything else. Premium Content subscribers (cost will be $25/year) will have access to dozens of business videos, additional articles and resources, and some other goodies we’re working on.The reason for the subscription option is that these additional resources take time and money to create and implement. Until now the site has been 100% financed through purchases of the spreadsheets and books and through my own financial commitment to the site. In order to take the site to the next level though it’s going to take more. I am committed to keeping the site accessible and hope that you’ll find the $25 annual fee (which breaks down to $2.08 per month) to be within your budget for the timely, useful, and important information you’ll get.
Look for these new changes and more information in the new year. In the meantime, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at email@example.com.
Now go have some cake!